Rocky Ridge Trail Closures

Posts here are for topics pertaining to trails at Rocky Ridge County Park or any general information about the Park

Rocky Ridge Trail Closures

Postby danwalko » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Hello everyone...

Mike Fobes from the York County Parks asked me to remind everyone to check the Parks Twitter feed or to call the Park Office at 717-840-7440 to confirm trails are open or closed before heading out to ride. During the wetter winter and spring months, Mike will be closing the Trails at Rocky Ridge to prevent damage from horses and mountain bikes. Recently, the Rangers have noticed mountain bikers not paying attention to the open/closed signs or ignoring them. Some bikers have been giving the Rangers a hard time about the trail closures. Please abide by the Parks rules. The single track trails at Rocky Ridge, especially the YAMBA built trails, are more prone to damage when they are wet than the old fire roads inside the Park. The closures are done to prevent bikes and horses from damaging the trail tread when they are wet.

I know this is a sore subject for many bikers who feel it is our right to use these trails since we help maintain them and actually built many of them. The bottom line is that we do not own the land. YAMBA will not be involved in the daily open/closed decisions made by the Parks. The land is owned by the Parks and we need to abide by their rules. To date, the rangers have been patient and only warning users that are in violation of the open/closed policy. I would imagine they will start to issue citations for those that choose to ignore the signs or give the rangers a hard time about closures.

I have and always will have the opinion that limited access to Rocky Ridge and the Lakes is better than NO access. Please abide by the rules to prevent trail damage and preserve access to the Parks for mountain biking.

If anyone has any questions, please post here or PM me on the forum. Thank you to everyone for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.

Dan
danwalko

Re: Rocky Ridge Trail Closures

Postby finsout » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:26 pm

I saw that yesterday when I was up clearing out drainage areas. Freakin parking lot was full with riders and the sign said closed. Honestly, citations need to start sooner rather than later to send a message.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby dewy2 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:23 am

Dan
Thank you for the information and all the work by YAMBA. I copied your post and re-posted it on our Team Facebook page. I may not make trail work day because of Family, Scouts or my personal race training. But please know I support the club 100%.

Thanks
Dewy & The Cycle Works
dewy2

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:45 am

I won't repeat my thoughts on most of this topic since I know people disagree with me, however there is one statement you made that I really don't agree with:

danwalko wrote:The single track trails at Rocky Ridge, especially the YAMBA built trails, are more prone to damage when they are wet than the old fire roads inside the Park. The closures are done to prevent bikes and horses from damaging the trail tread when they are wet.

This mentality completely downplays the purposed of IMBA standard multi use single track trail design. The entire purpose of designing and building trails to the IMBA standards is to create a sustainable trail that can withstand the use of bicycles and horses as well as provide optimized drainage off the trail. When you say that the old fire roads have better drainage than the newly constructed YAMBA built single track you are completely downplaying the hard effort that everyone has put in to building those trails. If this was the case, then why even build the new trails?
Glancing Aft

Postby wrench347 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 pm

Let me say that I am in favor of trail closure as a tool to preserve the trails against the adverse effects of using them when they are very muddy due to saturating rains, snowmelt and such and I understand that the trails are owned by the York Co. Parks Dept (not the taxpayers, that they took your money to buy the land doesn’t give you ownership but taxes are another subject…) and they decide who may use the trails and how. I would also favor some plan of enforcement by the Park Rangers (written warnings for 1st time offenders, fines for repeat offenders?) both as a solution to illegal use of the park resources and as an alternative to an all out ban on mountain biking as has happened elsewhere when large numbers of riders ignore the rules.
That said, I do agree with Will that unless we are comparing dirt singletrack to the gravel paths that to characterize the trails we have built as being somehow less fragile is unfair and undermines our efforts to promote sustainable trails and the IMBA model.
Tony
wrench347

Postby wrench347 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 am

"somehow less fragile is unfair" should read "somehow MORE fragile..." Doh!
wrench347

Postby finsout » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 am

I'm going to state the obvious and say that the first action should be to separate horses from bikes then have horse closures then bike closures since horses do way more damage. Secondly, has the county ever looked at trail-specific closures? some parts of the park are pretty dry (trial 5). Just thinking outside the box.

Has anybody posted this to MTBR and alerted shops up north? I get the impression that most of the offenders on Sunday were from the Harrisburg area.
finsout

Postby ScottyB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:50 pm

finsout wrote:Secondly, has the county ever looked at trail-specific closures? some parts of the park are pretty dry (trial 5). Just thinking outside the box.

Not a bad idea but if you let people ride one or two open trail what's stopping them from riding the closed trails? They do it now anyway when all trails are closed.
ScottyB

Postby finsout » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 pm

yeah yeah. i thought about that right after i hit submit. i really want a rule that bans riders shorter than 5' 10" ;)
finsout

Postby ScottyB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Good thing I got 3 inch lifts for my riding shoes 8-)
ScottyB

Postby Jim Gable » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:07 pm

If the trails are closed the rangers should just fine them period. That will send the message. The trails are closed for a reason and that is to prevent damage to the trails. Other wise we all suffer from damaged trails. Just take the day off and go to spin class untill the trails open again.

Jim
Jim Gable

Return to Rocky Ridge